Now that the weather is getting colder and the leaves are changing, this is the perfect soup to enjoy! Warm your soul with this delicious, healthy, plant-based soup.
While making this soup, I had an unfortunate incident with the squash sap and ended up with some sort of reaction or Squash Dermatitis when I was peeling the squash. Squash, particularly young squash, release a sticky sap-like substance when they are cut/peeled, to help protect itself from trauma. This sticky sap can get on your hands and cause a reaction. The sap can also be very difficult to get off of your hands. For me, my hands went numb and my skin started peeling within a few minutes of contact with the squash. It is recommended to wear gloves while peeling squash if you have this sort of reaction. To get this stick sap substance off of your hands, you can soak your hands in warm water, or take off the sap with a sticky piece of tape. If you would like to watch my adventures making this recipe, please check out my YouTube video below:
And now onto the recipe details!
Delicious & Creamy Plant-Based Butternut Squash Soup
Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 35 – 40 minutes
Servings: Approximately 8
- Olive oil (1 tbsp)
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated (or 1 tsp ginger powder)
- 1 tsp salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1/2 tsp fresh or dried, cut finely
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 3.5 cups soup stock (vegetable, chicken for non-vegan option)
- 3/4 cut milk (coconut milk or almond milk for vegan option, milk or cream for non-vegan option)
- Heat a pot to medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add the diced onion, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper and thyme, saute until onion is transparent
- Add the butternut squash cubes and stir the mixture
- Add the vegetable stock and stir to combine (you may need a little more/less stock depending on size of squash, liquid level should be slightly lower than the squash)
- Add lid and bring soup to a boil, once boil is reached turn down to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes (squash should be tender enough to pierce with a fork)
- Remove soup from heat and add the milk
- Puree the soup with a blender or hand-held blender
- Voila! Serve and enjoy your delicious soup! You may store leftovers in the fridge/freezer. Consume within a few days.